Rathkeale Online

History Banner
 


History of Rathkeale

General Information

A market town and parish in the Barony of Lower Connello, County of Limerick, 120 miles S.W. from Dublin, 53 miles N.NW. from Cork and 17 miles S.W.by W. from Limerick on the banks of the river Deel. It was once a corporate town of some importance and successfully resisted many assaults during the reign of Elizabeth I

At a very early age an Augustinian Priory was founded here by a certain Gilbert Hervey. The town consists of one long and wide street running East to West with some respectful houses and a few good shops. The Court-House in the Square is a neat stone building and the bridewell a substantial one. Petty Sessions were held on alternate Thursdays and Quarter Sessions in January, April, July and October. AgricultureIs was the prevailing occupation of the inhabitants. The trade of the town was based on agriculture. There were two flour mills, one of which is of a large size. The places of worship are the established Church, dedicated to the Holy Trinity, erected on a gentle slope at the West end of the town and a Roman Catholic Chapel in Thomas St., both handsome structures, the former has a lofty embattled tower with crocketted pinnacles.

The surrounding country is highly interesting presenting a number of rich and varied prospects embellished with flourishing plantations and many seats of the Gentry.

A prominent object is Matrix Castle which stands on the banks of the river Deel about a mile from the town. It is in a fine situation commanding extensive views of the country including the Shannon river and the Clare and Tipperary mountains. It was besieged by Cromwell, but received little injury from his hands and within a few years had been put in a state of complete repair. The markets which were well supplied were held on Thursdays and Saturdays. Fair days were are held on January 6th, February 7th, March 10th, April 4th, June 19th, July 17th, August 25th, September 18th, October 14th and November 18th.

The population of the Parish in 1841 was 8,293 inclusive of 4,261 inhabitants of the town

The Post Office is on the Main Street and John Hammond was the Postmaster. Letters from Ireland and England arrived from Dublin every morning at eleven and were dispatched every afternoon at twenty past one when the Royal Mail coach from Tralee called.

Cars and coaches travelled from the Kings Arms Hotel every morning (Sundays excepted) at six and seven thirty to Newcastle West also every evening at seven to Tralee. The Royal Mail called at the Post Office every morning at eleven.


Historic Dates

902: The name Rathkeale is a suggested anglisisation of Rathguala (Rath Caola), which is mentioned in The Book of Rights for this year. The name which translates as “The fort of Caola”, it has been suggested that Caola was a local King. Local tradition suggests that the location of the fort was at the back of the shrine and to the side of the house known as Mount Southwell in Enniscoush.

Side Panel

1890 Rathkeale

Pictures Copyright of Lawrence Collection. Produced at O'Brien Studio, Bunratty Folk Park, Bunratty, Co. Clare, Ireland

1210: The religious house known as St. Mary’s Priory is said to have been founded by Gilbert Harvey for Augustinian Canons of the Order of Aroasia.
1223: According to the Black Book of Limerick, the manor of Rathkeale was in possession of H Waspayl at this time. The manor remained in the hands of the Waspayl family until 1280 when it passed into that of the Mautravers, who may have been relations of theirs. It is from the name Mautravers that the townland names of Castle and Court Matrix evolved, which today effectively represent what was the manor land of the Parish.
1280: Elinor Purcell of Croagh leaves to the Monastery of Rathkeale what are effectively the tithes of the Manor of Croagh. Her son refuses to pay these to the Priory of Rathkeale, and is successful in a subsequent court case in having the amount owed reduced considerably.
1380: The Crown seizes the land of the Manor from J Arundel, heir of the Mautravers after which it passes into the hands of the Munster Geraldines - The Earls of Desmond.
1436: St. Mary the Virgin is reputed to have worked several miracles in the Priory and the Augustinians were allowed to grant indulgences to penitents in order to raise funds for the repair of the church.
1487: James the 9th. Earl of Desmond is murdered at Castlematrix by his servants in what is in effect a struggle for the title. His brother
Maurice who succeeds to the title has all of those who were servants of James executed.
1542: The monastery of Rathkeale was officially suppressed.
1580: Sir Walter Raleigh, then a captain in the Queen’s forces camped in Rathkeale while on their way to do battle with the Spanish forces who had landed at Smerwick harbour, doubled back on those who had come into where the camp had been pitched to scavenge for food and other items and massacred all of them.

The castle of Rathkeale was burned to the ground by English forces on their way to suppress the Desmond rebellion.
1582: The lands of Rathkeale and Kilfinny are among those granted to Edward Billingsley in the Munster Plantation. He decides to centre his

Estate on the village of Kilfinny, which he re-names as Knockbillingsley. The estate is sold on to the Dowdall family.
1642: After the death of her husband Captain John Southwell when he is ambushed at Grange Bridge on his way to assist in the defense of Newcastle (West), Lady Dowdall, organises the defense of Kilfinny Castle against 4 successive attacks by Irish rebels. She is eventually forced to surrender when artillery is brought from Limerick.
1709: Thomas Southwell, whose family have inherrited some of the old Billingsley/Dowdall estate, introduces Palatine refugee families to the
townlands of Courtmatrix, Killeheen, Ballingrane and Pallas(kenry). In all about 120 families were introduced. They augmented an already established English settlement which had been introduced to assist in the development of the linen/flax industry.
1740: Archdeacon Brown is appointed Rector of Rathkeale and Chancellor of the Diocese of Limerick. Members of his family become agents for the Southwell estate and a number of significant houses are built by members of the Brown family including Danesfort, Mount Brown, Wilton and Brownville. The Church of Ireland records including the vestry book survive from this date until 1821 giving a very comprehensive record of the history of the Union. At the time Kilscannell and Cloughnarold belonged to the Union. Clonshire parish later became part of the Union.
1743: Frances Ingoldsby, then the wealthiest woman in the world is abducted from Nantenan Glebe to the north of Rathkeale by Hugh Fitz John Massy of Co. Cork. It is unclear as to whether Ms. Ingoldsby was a willing party to her abduction, but they did marry and the descendants of the union reside today in Stoneville.
1756: Is the year of the first recorded visit by John Wesley to the Palatine communities in the neighbourhood of Rathkeale. Many of the Palatines become Methodist in line with Wesley’s teachings.
1766: At the behest of Barbara Heck, Phillip Embury preaches the first Methodist service in America. They are both emigrants from the Palatine settlement at Ballangarrane and are credited with being the founders of Methodism in America.
1786: Following the recent completion of the house now known as Beechmount, the Pigott family decide to no longer reside in Rathkeale and centre their estate on their Queen’s Co. (Laoise) estates.
1820: The area around Rathkeale and Newcastle became the centre of the rebellion known as the Rockite rebellion. Among incidents in and around Rathkeale were the ambushing of a planned attack on a tithe proctors house by the local militia which left 4 of the attackers dead or near dead and the assassination of the local Police constable Captain Going because local belief was that at least one of the bodies he had buried in quick lime near the Deel bridge was of someone who was still alive.
1846: The Rathkeale Coin Hoard was discovered this year. It is said to have contained over a thousand coins of Edward III and a thin gold band which is one of a small group of such ornaments which can be dated to the eleventh or twelfth centuries. It is said that the find was made near the town. In 1857 Captain Edward Hoare a Cork antiquarian owned the band. He published a drawing and description of the band that year.
1862: Sir Launcelot Edward Kiggell, Chief of Staff to Sir Alexander Haig between 1915 and 1917, was born in Wilton House. Kiggell is reported to have broke down in tears after visiting Passchendale during the third battle of Ypres saying “Good God did we really send men out to fight in that”. He retired his position towards the end of 1917 and finished the war as head of forces in the Channel Islands. At least 22 men who either gave Rathkeale as there place of birth or were at the time of enlisting died fighting with the British forces in the First World War.
  Rathkeale was connected with Limerick and Newcastle West by railway
1873: St. Mary’s church, designed by Ireland’s major church architect of the time was officially opened. Previous Roman Catholic chapels and Mass Houses had been located in Chapel Lane and on or about the location of the current convent hall.
1916: The death takes place of William Hayes local organiser for the Irish Parliamentary Party. In 1898 he had been the principal organiser of the erection of the celtic cross at the bottom of St. Mary’s grave yard to commemorate those who died in the planned attack on the tithe proctors house in 1821. Before his death he had proposed that those who died in the 1916 rebellion be included in the list of those commemorated on the cross. Three people from Rathkeale and its environs died in the Irish War of Independence, these included Sean Finn a member of the Irish volunteers since their founding and Officer in Command of the West Limerick battalion of the IRA who died in ambush by British forces near Loughill.
1921: The local workhouse was burnt to the ground by the IRA during the truce between the end of the War of Independence and the signing of the Treaty. The incident was not as a result of orders issued from IRA HQ in Dublin. Many of those who were in the workhouse at the time were obliged to continue living among the ruins until as late as the 1940’s. The burning was suspected by some to be the outcome of the competition to have the County Home located in the work houses of Newcastle West and Rathkeale.
1954: As a result of local initiative, a Meat processing plant called Shannon Meat is opened on the site of the old workhouse.
1975: The local railway line which had operated since the 1860’s was closed. Passenger services had been closed some years previously. The original line which ran from Limerick to Foynes had seen the station later known as Ballingarrane Junction known as Rathkeale. The later Rathkeale station house is today the Irish Palatine Centre. The station house which had originally stood near the roundabout/flyover was dismantled brick by brick and moved to its current location. Desmond Creation also opened around this time
     

 

The following is a list of Gentry and Clergy in Rathkeale in the 19th century.

Bridget Bateman.Main St. Gerald Blennerhasset, Ballinvira
Henery Boucher,Fort Henry Rev. Jas. Boucher, Hy Castle Glebe
Francis Brown, Mount Southwell Henry Brown, Danesfort
Pierce Brown, Brownville William Brown, Wilton Hill
James Condon, Wilton Hill James Condon, Wellmount
Richard Condon, Killscannell Hs. George Creagh, Waterville
Conyers D'arcy, Killscannell Tobias Delmage, Rathkeale Cottage
William J.Evans, Main St. Mrs M.Ferguson, Abbyview
Gerald B.Fitzgerald, Ballinvira Rev. George Gould P.P. Abbyview
Richard Greaves, Farnaglenn Rev.Ed Hayard, MAin St.
John Hewson, Enniscouch Mrs J. Hewson, Main St.
V.Rev. Thomas Hogan P.P. Thomas St. Henry Irwin, Cappagh Hs.
William Leake, Rathkeale Abbey Thomas Leyod, Beech House
Hugh Massey, Stoneville Jas. F. Massey, Glensharrold
George Mansell, Ballywilliam Rev Richard Nunan P.P. Thomas St.
Rev Richard O'Neill,C.C. Thomas St. John Peppard Rockfield Tower
Robert Peppard, Cappagh Hs. Jeremiah Reardon, Rathkeale Commons
John Royce, Ballintridedda Robert Royce,The Square
Robert Royce, Ballinvirick Thomas Roycem, Nantenan Hs.
Vera Royce, Kilcool Richard Smythe, Ballylin
Richard Smythe, Smithfield Hs. Henry Stephenson, Rock View
John Stephenson, Curragheen Jonathan Studdard, Elm Hill
Rev Daniel Synan, C.C. Thomas St. Ven. Archdeacon Warburton, B/William

Academies and Schools
Bridget Butler, Roches Rd. Timothy Conway, Well Lane
John Donovan, The Square Fergus Casey, Thomas St
John Miller, Thomas St. National School, Thomas St.
Rev O'Neill, Thomas St. Eileen O'Neill, Main St
Joseph Casey and Ann Cloyne were Master and Mistress of the National School in Thomas St.

Apothecaries
Michael Collins, Main St.
John Fitzgibbon, Main St.
Philip O'Hanlon, Main St.

Attorneys
Julius Delmage, Main St Robert Ferguson, The Square
Mortimer McCoy, Abbey View Daniel Ruttle, Main St.
Charles Smyth, Main St.

Bakers
Patrick Cagney, Main St. Thomas Culhane, Main St.
Richard Ryan, Main St. JohnSheehy, Main St.

Banks
The National Bank of Ireland, Main St.

Blacksmiths
Thomas Fennell, Main St. Brian McMahon, Pound Lane
Michael McNamara, Main St. George Miller, The Bridge
Patrick O'Shea, Well Lane

Boot and Shoe makers
James Donovan, Main St. Patrick Donovan, New Road
John Hallinan, Main St. John Higgins, Main St.
John Moloney, Main St. Christopher Raynard, Main St.
William Stark, Main St.

Butchers
James Carey, Main St. John Carey, Main St.
John Cregan, Well Lane John Dillon, Well Lane
John Dore, Main St. Con Kennedy, Main St.
Michael Kennedy, Main St. Michael Reidy, Main St.
James Roche, Main St. John Roche, Main St
Michael Roche, Main St. James Sullivan, Main St
George Whiteacre,Main St.

Public Houses
Michael Madigan, Well Lane George Magee, Main St.
Patrick Magner, Main St. Denis Moran, Main St.
Patrick O'Regan, Main St. Thomas Costelloe,Well Lane
Henry Downes, Main St. Gerald Fitzgibbon, Well Lane
Ellen Gallery, Main St. Roger Green, Main St.
John Keating, Main St. Michael Lyons, Main st.

Saddlers and Collar makers
Daniel Hegarty, Main St. Michael SuryMain St.
Spirit Dealers
Timothy Cowhey, Main St. Maurice Hogan, Main St.
Thomas Mangan, Main St. William Mulcahy, Main St.
Michael O'Donoghue, Main St. James O'Donovan, Main St.
Richard O'Shaughnessy, Main St. John Power, Main St.

Straw Hat makers
Catherine Casey, Main St. Ellen Cummins, Main St.
Catherine Hallinan, Main St. Honora McNamara, Main St.
Catherine O'Neill, Main St.

Surgeons
Terence O'Loughlin, Main St. Charles Patterson M.D., Main St.

Tailors
James Fitzgerald, Main St. Michael Meehan, Well Lane
Richard Taylor, Main St. Edward White, Pound Lane

Tobacconists
James Fitzgibbon, Main St. Robert Fitzgerald, Main St.
John McDonnell, Main St. John Spillane, Main St.

Tallow Candlers
Daniel Fitzgibbon, Main St. John Lynch, Main St.
John McDonnell, Main St.

Wheelwrights
Patrick Burns, New Rd. Edward Costelloe, Main St.
James Guinna, Main St. Thomas Holland, New Rd.
John Madigan, Main St

Miscellaneous
John Creagh, Well Lane Patrick Creagh, Well Lane
Christopher Corneil, Thomas St. Margaret Gerons, Main St.
John Fahey, Main St. Fergus Hanrahan, Main St.
John Hall, Well Lane Uriah Lovell, Well Lane
Philip O'Hanlon, Thomas St. Michael O'Neill, Main St.
Richard O'Shaughnessy, Main St. Thomas Peacock, Thomas St.
William Richmond, Main St. George Rone, Thomas St.
Alex Twors, Thomas St.

Places of Worship
Established Church, Church St. R.C. Chapel, Thomas St.

Public Institutions
Constabulary Station, Main St. Thomas Smith, Sub-Inspector
Union Workhouse, Rathkeale William & Martha Bourke
Clerk of the Court John Hall

Cabinet Makers
George Morgan, Main St. Henry Norman, Main St.

Carpenters
Cornelius Dore, Thomas St. Denis Hickey, Main St.
James Johnston, New Rd.

Clothes Dealers
George Russel, Main St. Jacob Warrel, Main St.

Coopers
James Connors, Main St. James Hayes, Main St.
Daniel O'Connor, Main St. Michael O'Connor, Main St.

Corn Merchants
John Brown, Castlematrix Mills Patrick Brown, Well Lane
William Dartnell, Main St. Timothy Enright, Main St
Charles McCarthy, Main St.

Flour Factories
James Burns, Main St. William Dartnell, Main St.
Timothy Enright, Main St. Cornelius Ives,
John Walsh, Main St.

Grocers
Timothy Cowhey, Main St. William Fitzgibbon, Main St.
Michael Collins, Main St. John Hall, Main St.
Maurice Hogan, Main St. Denis Madigan, Main St.
Thomas Mangan, Main St. Ellen Moran, Main St.
Matthew Moroney, Main St. William Mulcahy, Main St.
Michael O'Donoghue, Main St. James O'Donovan, Main St.
James O'Shaughnessy, Main St. Richard O'Shaughnessy, Main St.
John Power, Main St. John Stokes, Main St.

Hotels
The Kings Arms, Main St Lawrence's Hotel, The Square
Ironmongers and hardware dealers
James Bridgeman, Main St. Edward Culhane, Main St.
Maurice O'Flahavan, Main St. Patrick O'Regan, Well Lane

Leather Cutters
Stephen Hayes, Well Lane Matthew Moroney, Main St.
Stephen O'Donnell, Main St.

Linen dealers & Haberdashers
Con Corcoran, Main St. John Costelloe, Main St.
Con Dore, Main St. Ellen Herbert, Main St.
John Moylan, Main St. Thomas O'Connell, Main St.
Martin Quaid, Main St. William Roche, Main St.

Millers
John Brown, Castlematrix Timothy Enright, Main St.
Milliners & Dressmakers
Mary Casey, Thomas St. Elija Downes, Thomas St.
Johanna Flaherty, New Rd. Mary Gleeson, Main St.
Celia Ives, Thomas St. Catherine O'Neill, Main St.

Nail Makers
Patrick Griffin, Well Lane Richard Griffin, Well Lane
James Hughes, The Square Richard Hughes, New Rd.
John McDaniel, Main St. William Smyth, Main St.

Oil & Colourmen
Michael Collins, Main St. John Costelloe, Main St.
John Fitzgibbon, Main St. Philip O'Hanlon, Main St.

Painters & Glaziers
George Clampett, Well Lane Edward McDonnell, Main St.
Thomas O'Connell, Thomas St.

Pawnbrokers
Bridget Gill, The Square John Latchford, Main St.
James Ruttle, The Square

Townlands
English Name Irish Name Meaning
Abbeylands Cluain na mBráthar The meadow of the friars
Ardbohill Ard Bhuachaill High place of the herdsman
Ardnanean Ard na n-Éan The high place of the birds
Ardnaveagh Ard na bhFiadh The high place of the ravens
Ballyallinan North Baile Uí Áilíonáin The town of Ó hÁilíonáin
Ballyallinan South as above  
Ballybrown Baile an Bhrúnaigh The town of An Brúnach
Ballyea Baile Uí Aodha The town of Ó hAodha
Ballyea Wood as above  
Ballynamucky Baile na Muicí The town of the swineherds
Ballywilliam North Baile Liaim The town of Liam
Ballywilliam South as above  
Ballywilliam Demesne as above  
Ballywinterrourke Baile Mhuintir Ruairc The town of Muintir Ruairc
Ballywinterrourke Wood as above  
Bealduvroga Béal Átha Dobhróige The fordmouth of Dobhróg
Beechmount Demesne Cnoc Feá  
Blossomhill Cnoc Bláithche Hill of buttermilk
Castlematrix Caisleán Bhun Tráisce The castle of Bun Tráisce
Cloghanarold Cloch an Araltaigh The stone structure of An tAraltach
Cloghatrida Cloch an Choitréadaigh The stone structure of An Coitréadach
Courtmatrix Cúirt Bun Tráisce The court of Bun Tráisce
Curraghnadeely Currach na Daoile The wet land of An Daoil
Doonbeirne Dún Beirn The fort of Bearn
Dromard Demesne An Drom Ard The high ridge
Duckstown Baile na Lathach The town of the muddy place
Englishtenements Tithe na Sasanach  
Enniscouch Inis Cuais Island of the hollow
Graigue An Ghráig The hamlet
Islandboy An tOileán Buí The yellow island
Kilcoleman East Cill Cholmáin The church of Colmán
Kilcoleman West as above  
Kilcool Coill Chúl Meaning uncertain
Killeheen Cill Eichín The church of Eichín
Knockaunavad Cnoc Bhan an Bháid The hill of the lea-ground of the boat
Kyletuan Coill tSeán The wood of Seán
Loghill Leamhchoill Elmwood
Moanwing An Mhóin Bhán The white bogland
Parklewis Páirc Lobhaois  
Ranahan Raithneachán Place of bracken
Rathkeale Ráth Caola The rath of Caola
Rathkeale Commons as above  
Rathnaseer Ráth na Saor The rath of the craftsmen
Reens East Roighne Thoir Meaning uncertain
Riddlestown Baile an Ridéalaigh The town of An Ridéalach
Rylanes Na Réileáin The level tracts
Stoneville Fearann Rí Meaning uncertain
Wolfesburgess East Burgáiste an Bhulbhaigh  
Wolfesburgess West as above  

 

Copyright of Rathkeale St Patricks Day Committee